If you drive in Orange County on freeways or highways or streets - you've seen motorcycles driving on the road too. Motorcycles are smaller in size than other vehicles and can be easily hidden in a car's blind spot. Did you know that over half of all fatal motorcycle crashes involve another vehicle? There are lots of things to look out for when sharing the roads with motorcycles.
Here are some things car drivers should be aware of about motorcycles, according to MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation:
- Most of the time, the motorist, not the motorcyclist, is at fault.
- Take an extra moment to look for motorcycles, whether you're changing lanes or turning at intersections.
- Motorcyclists often slow by downshifting and the brake light does not always activate. At intersections, predict a motorcyclist may slow down without visual warning.
- Understand that motorcyclists adjust lane position for a purpose, not to be reckless or show off or to allow you to share the lane with them.
- Maneuverability is one of a motorcycle's better characteristics, but don't expect a motorcyclist to always be able to dodge out of the way.
- Stopping distance for motorcycles is nearly the same as for cars, but slippery pavement makes stopping quickly difficult.
- When a motorcycle is in motion, see more than the motorcycle - see the person under the helmet.
We should all be concerned with traffic safety, and want to see a significant reduction in motor vehicle crashes. It's unsettling to be commuting home after work, or driving around Orange County on the weekend with places to go and witness horrific traffic accidents and see shattered car fragments strewn along the road and paramedics on the scene and ambulances lights flashing. Those victims who have suffered injuries or death could be a friend, a family member or someone you know or love. Please drive safe and be aware of other more vulnerable roadway users such as bicyclists or motor cycle riders.
If you, or someone you know, has been injured in a motorcylce accident, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Cohn & Swartzon. The costs to the victims of these accidents is almost always larger than they could possibly have anticipated, and typically more than they can afford. These costs tend to add up very rapidly. Moreover, those costs tend to add up as a result of incurred current and future medical bills, the loss of current and future wages or wages sources, and other accident-related expenses. At Cohn & Swartzon we are dedicated to helping you obtain just compensation for these losses and to aiding you in ensuring that these costs do not impose an unsustainable financial burden on you or your family.
Moreover, as experienced personal injury attorneys, we at Cohn & Swartzon will interface, on your behalf, with the all of the insurance companies that are involved. Insurance companies often have their own expert attorneys representing them whose goal it is to do everything in their power to lower the settlement amount given to the victim, which lowers their company costs. As a result, they typically try to offer victims an amount that is far less than what he or she is due. Those victims that accept a lesser amount than what they are owed are then left without the medical care coverage they need down the road. Personal injuries are typically very costly for victims. By consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney, you can protect yourself and your family from being left with this additional financial burden.
We at Cohn & Swartzon are dedicated to helping you obtain adequate compensation for your losses, and sparing your family the economic burden associated with the costs of motorcycle or drunk-driving related accidents. As your personal injury attorney, we will fight on your behalf to make sure they own up to that responsibility and provide you with just compensation for your losses. Contact us for a free consultation today.
Related Blog Entries:
Related Web Resources:
Safety Tips for Car Drivers